Vinyl Me, Please Subscription: Why I signed up

In November of 2015, a heavy dose of advertising (and curiosity) led me to sign up to Vinyl Me, Please (VMP), a monthly record club that has been shipping records to members since January 2013.

Before I go any further, it should be stated I am a thrifty shopper. As a music collector, I've done well playing the waiting game. I hate over spending. So, I initially scoffed at the idea of this subscription based solely on the price. But in all fairness, that's because I've paid very little for most records in my possession. After a week of running out the pro's and con's I came to the conclusion, that while VMP is not cheap ($23-$27 a month), that's not to say it isn't an interesting deal. What led me to purchase a year's subscription is detailed below:

1.) I signed up to receive 3 archived records + a year subscription for $299 ($19.93 a record). The yearly subscription cost is $284 for 12 records ($23.67 a record). This seemed like a deal to me. I am likely to back out if the renewal doesn't include some type of bonus.

2.) The VMP's line up/archived records has improved each year.  Starting with Diarrhea Planet's I'm Rich Beyond Your Wildest Dreams, VMP has pressed exclusive records for their members.  Some standouts include: Sisyphus, Madvillian, R.L. Burnside, Father John Misty, J Dilla, Wilco, Four Tet, and a handful of others.

3.) Mail order*: I had a suspicion these records would arrive in pristine condition, something you generally don't find in a music store. The records I have received so far have been in mint condition (I just received J Dilla's Donuts as part of the new 'swap' option and the jacket shows a circular imprint where the records are held; everything else has been top notch in the condition category). It's like they were pressed, sealed and shipped the same day. For me, this can't be overstated. Also shipping is included in the base price.

*Disclosure: I love record shopping locally, however I'm tired of finding expensive (by my standards, anyway) vinyl that shows wear and tear. Think about all the people thumbing through it, banging it around in their respective shelves, wearing down the jacket spins, causing the sleeves to tear...

4.) High Risk/High Reward: It's true, I like the suspense of not knowing what record I'll receive until it arrives (or when I read the spoiler email VMP sends informing me of what's coming). As of May 2016, VMP has introduced 'SWAP'. If you'd rather opt out of the record for that month, you are able to substitute for a previous released record or from a few records only available in the member's only store.

5.) Extras: All records are (as of April 2014) exclusive to VMP...meaning you won't find these editions in stores. All records come with a 12x12 piece of art and a cocktail recipe. I'm a sucker for all things collectable.

Comments

Popular Posts